Posted 8/08/2013

So a little bit ago-

... Ma.

So a while back.

... No, it was actually much further back.

A few years back- Ah yeah that's it.

So, a few years back we were all part of the great gossip that was the, 'Akira: Live Action', movie. It was just spread by rumor through various forums and eventually we were fortunate to find out those rumors were actually truth. I remember reading Alex Billington's article on FirstShowing.net that it had finally been confirmed through a studio which, through much negotiation and a whole lot of money (7 figures to be exact), had purchased the right to Akira. This studio was Warner Bros. The movie was to be produced by Leonardo Di Caprio's company 'Appian Way'.

Source: FirstShowing.net

All signs pointed to the stigma we all know, many anime and VG live-action movies get ruined because of Americanization. And Akira was going to be set in, not Tokyo, but New Manhattan to top it all off. Not a good start for the fanbase. Still, it's fun to see our valued classics get some Hollywood style recognition. If not for the chance to see it brought to life, but to see the original creators getting the luxurious recognition they deserve.

Sadly, before any real juicy information got, out the movie was cancelled due to, 'budget issues'. Then it was brought back to life and put back in the ground repeatedly.

Then along came a studio....

As of a few weeks ago Warner Bros. announced that we're back for round... 3? 4? I lost count. This time they have apparently worked out any potential budget constraints and have even made some changes to the film. Katsuhiro Ohtomo, yes the guy who wrote and directed the anime, has jumped on board as executive producer. And the setting has been changed back from New Manhattan to Neo-Tokyo.

There are some reasons to not resume holding your breath though. While they currently in the process of resigning Jaume Collet-Serra as the director, they still are not sure if they will be able to to resign their lead role in Garrett Hedlund. You may know Mr. Hedlund from his lead role in 'Tron: Legacy'.

Source: RocketNews24.com, DenofGeek.com and TechnologyTell.com

This is a minor detail but it reveals that the movie planning is still in its infancy. So there's a lot up in the air about this. I'll keep trying to stay more up to date with what's going on, so please check back later for more updates on the potential of getting our live-action adaptation of the hit anime and manga Akira.

But what are your thoughts?

Are you excited to see the Akira as a live-action?

How do you feel, if the contract is finalized, about Garret Hedlund as Kaneda?

Does the news about Katsuhiro Ohtomo joining the team make you interested?

For all we know this will likely get cancelled again.

But you know what they say.

♫♪ It's nice to want things. ♪♫

Remember to comment below.

And keep spreading the love that is anime!

Posted 8/11/2013
Im uneasy only because the animated movie left a lot to be desired. The manga was just so big and "epic" that unless the movie is at least 3 hours, it just won't be as good.

Posted 8/11/2013
Im uneasy only because the animated movie left a lot to be desired. The manga was just so big and "epic" that unless the movie is at least 3 hours, it just won't be as good.
 I'm on board with you. I'm honestly not even that excited for the release. I mean, I'll watch it of course, but I doubt I'd go out of my way to. But who knows, there's always that very slight chance that it will be decent.

I think I'd rather watch a movie based on the Akira universe. Like something that happens in an alternate world or far in the future. Like an aftermath. But a rendition of the original movie just sounds like it's gonna leave a sour taste in fans mouths.

Posted 8/11/2013
Pretty sure I'll wait for it to come across my path. I would have preferred another animated movie over a live action remake. We'll just have to see how it turns out. I just have a feeling it'll be DBE all over again.

Posted 8/12/2013
Pretty sure I'll wait for it to come across my path. I would have preferred another animated movie over a live action remake. We'll just have to see how it turns out. I just have a feeling it'll be DBE all over again.
 For good reason. I can't get over not only the bad acting that was in DBE, but the horrible CGI that was used. I just don't see much of a chance that Akira will be a big win. Though unlike DBZ it is apparently getting a pretty decent cast. So maybe they'll end up just recreating the Akira story entirely and not adapting it. That's the only way I can see myself not getting disappointed.
Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;