Posted 8/19/2013
Does anyone have a funimation elite account? Asking because I'm curious about the service. :P

Posted 8/20/2013
Compared to Crunchyroll's catalog it's nothing. Crunchyroll on this site has over 250 series and several thousand episodes. 

The problem with Funimation and Viz is they went along with Hulu and YouTube to obtain viewers. This was a no brainier for Viz as their owned by Wanner Bros. However, Funimation has been continuing to push online streaming for ages and was one of the first to do so. I'm not sure if they just haven't found the right people or they just have a poor business model but they haven't been doing well on the forefront. I have a feeling it's because they're now owned by Navarre who is more focused on distribution. They just haven't had any real experience building an online community. Their bread and butter will always be DVD/Blu-Ray sales which are slowly on the decline with the offer of online content.

Anyway, it's not worth the price unless there is a series you really want to watch enough for the DVD extras. Then it may be worth while to get a single month and go on an anime binge.

Posted 8/20/2013
I thought it was strange at first for funimation and viz to use hulu for video embedding but I was thinking that maybe the elite service offered by Funimation is not at all hulu embedded video. Instead you would get a dedicated HD available experience for some anime, exclusive content, and certain licensed funimation anime that are not available to other services such as crunchyroll. Of course I would have no way of knowing at all if this true since the elite service has been down for a while. =P

I thought along the lines that Viz would do the same thing in theory. I don't think they would now due to money problems. However, it is interesting to know that they launched an anime service called Neon Alley to have scheduled anime running at certain times viewable on Pc, Mac, PS3, and xbox 360.

Posted 8/20/2013
Funimation does have their own embeds along with Hulu. I know when E7 AO came out it would be their own embed for a week than switch to Hulu. I really don't see them making much money off the elite service. They'd make a lot more on Amazon, Google Play, or iTunes. Which they probably already do.

Never really heard of Neon Alley. I'll have to look into it. Seems like a poor move restricting streaming times but it may be a lot cheaper to do it that way.

Posted 8/20/2013
Funimation does have their own embeds along with Hulu. I know when E7 AO came out it would be their own embed for a week than switch to Hulu. I really don't see them making much money off the elite service. They'd make a lot more on Amazon, Google Play, or iTunes. Which they probably already do.

Never really heard of Neon Alley. I'll have to look into it. Seems like a poor move restricting streaming times but it may be a lot cheaper to do it that way.
 Wow where do you gain all of this knowledge does it come with being a master programmer? Anyways if I remember they stopped playing "Pokemon" movies on I believe Netflix what a bummer.

By... "TheAwsome"

Posted 8/21/2013
I'm not sure what's with Netflix. I just can't seeing them being around in the long run unless they make some big changes. Or at least stream new DVD releases... 

And yes, my master programmer skills make me control all of the interwebz.

(borrowing your icon)

Posted 8/21/2013
I don't think Netflix will disappear in the next 5 years but in the next 10 years I don't know. They did receive the rights for Disney movies and some Disney TV shows; so those people that want to re-live a part of their childhood. Also, Netflix brought House of Card to be an exclusive TV show only available on their service. However, you are right that they should be having those stream newly released dvd or for that matter movies in theaters and stay up to date on tv shows.

Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;