Posted 8/07/2013
 It's money. And yeah, if it's enjoyable more power, dude/dudette. I washed dishes in a kitchen for a couple years in high school than go work at McDonalds. Got to hang out with some awesome cooks from China and Japan too. Yes, they got me addicted to cigarettes when I was younger, but it was fair trade I think.... Wait, is that right?
You probably had more patience than I did working in the customer service industry otherwise known as working at a shitty store or restaurant. 

I also used to work at McDonalds and as Landscaper for an old lady. Damn glad I stopped working at the Mc's!
 Huu. Landscaper is actually pretty fascinating. Like planting and stuff? Or trimming and lawn grooming, etc?
 Pretty much. Earned 10 an hour and earned about 40-60 every other day or two for a month. Beat flipping burgers that's for sure.
Hopefully you enjoyed that better than Mcdonalds because working at mcdonalds must be hard. In fact most jobs at stores and restrurants are probably crappy pay and hours.

I myself can't stand working in the customer service industry. In fact the first job I had ever received was working at a call center full-time during third shift making maybe $9.45-$10.25 an hour. The job certainly helped pay for part of my college but it was way to stressful for me to do. I quit the job probably about 70 days in due to increased suicide thoughts and feeling very unhappy about it. What really irk me about the job was that I felt like 70% of the time I could not help a certain person feel satisfied with their service and help people considering it was mostly calls relating to getting people service vehicles to come help them. Also, most of the calls were very strange at night.

Afterwards, I worked at two stores one being a grocery store and the other being staples. I felt like a slave working very shitty hours at the grocery store and then at staples felt like an idiot and lied to constantly about things. Also staples felt more like a sales position as a cashier rather than just helping someone check out.

All in all it boiled down to not being satisfied with my job and not having the patience to do meaningless tasks or for that matter being lied to or having to lie or persuade customers into buying something for the reason why I quit most of my jobs. Plus,  I never felt right selling something that I know was a bad quality product and wouldn't be improved due to costs. *sigh*

Anyway, I admire those of you  who have the patience and determination to hold down a job in McDonalds or a similar occupation because I'm too weak minded to do that.

Posted 8/07/2013
I hate customer service too. For the most part, it's all I can apply for at the moment. A reason why I didn't work this summer is because I lacked any drive to even apply for a lot of jobs, and I was extremely picky because I didn't want to have another customer service job. I actually had two interviews this summer at my favorite store Chapters, but during those interviews I had a nostalgic feeling of my time last summer as a sales associate and I just wouldn't want the job anymore. I knew if I got the job, and once I quit that I wouldn't want to ever come back there to shop, so these thoughts bothered me and I messed up at my interviews. I'm happy it happened. 

Posted 8/07/2013
I believe I did around 5 or 7 years in retail sales. It's weird because I'm a big introvert yet almost every job I ever had was in customer service. Either sales or working as a civil servant. One of the nice things about the jobs was that I got to teach a lot of people new things. I've always been a sucker for wanting to teach at times. Would be an interesting way to retire.

The worst part of retail was always management. Many times you'd run across a manager or supervisor with less experience than you and no education beyond high school. Sometimes I'd run into a supervisor who didn't even have a high school degree. None of them had any real management training so it was a headache seeing how they treated other employees. I was always top in sales so management left me alone but it also hurt me because they refused to promote me. I was stuck at an entry level job for years because they didn't want to risk loosing sales by promoting me. I actually had to quit and go to another employer to get a promotion. And when I said I was going to quit they tried to get me to stay by saying they'd look into getting me a management spot.

Part of the reason I love low tiered management structures. You can keep the exact same job and still be promoted to a higher level position in that job. Such as starting off as a apprenticeship and working your way up to a journeyman while getting a raise at each step you get to mastering your skills.

Posted 8/07/2013
Oh man...bring back memories...my first job was at McD's because unfortunately no one will hire you without job experience -.-

It's really the biggest load of crap...how do you expect me to get any job experience if you won't hire me? And I'm talking about places in retail, not even a managerial position or anything...it's not like working a cash register is anything extremely difficult that a person can't pick up with like an hour of training, if that much.

That crap used to piss me off so much lol. Perpetuating the cycle...it's nonsense like that that causes teenagers to turn to selling drugs or hacked/stolen goods in order to make some money since no one wants to give them a chance to prove themselves in the workforce.

McD's was a last resort for me...I hated having to work there but I wanted to be able to support myself more so I had no choice. The food might be questionable but one thing that company can say it does well is offer opportunities to people who don't have many other options lol. 

Posted 8/07/2013
I think I'm one of the few people who have never worked, legally, in customer service. First real job I ever had was for an Asbestos removal and demolition company, then Firestone, Cadillac and now the current gig.

This job is likely the most relatable to customer service, honestly. See patients on a daily basis though I'm actually not the one providing services to them. Discuss certain concerns with patients but not actually have to be part of the evasive procedures and collections. Then I just sit on the computer mostly and punch numbers.

I think I would only love customer service if the people I worked with were great. Cause I imagine those moments after a rough encounter with a customer is pretty dampening, but if you have great co-workers then you'd be able to shake it off much faster. Then again I don't have experience with it outside of being 15 working under the table at my friends' parents' Chinese restaurant working only for tips.

And Re, you did amazing when you were at McD's. You went all out for them. SO, in honor of you I will eat lunch today at Teriyaki and not the Clown's house!

Posted 8/08/2013
I'd consider your current job customer service lol. Sadly I can't tease you about pricking innocent little old ladies anymore. 

I agree...only time customer service is fun is when you can joke about some of the ridiculous ppl after they've left with your coworkers haha.

At least working at McD's let me practice my Spanish!

And geeze don't remind me of that clown *shudders*
So creepy...I'm glad our store never had any events for the kids with that stupid clown...the most we ever did was face painting lol

Posted 8/08/2013
I'd consider your current job customer service lol. Sadly I can't tease you about pricking innocent little old ladies anymore. 

I agree...only time customer service is fun is when you can joke about some of the ridiculous ppl after they've left with your coworkers haha.

At least working at McD's let me practice my Spanish!

And geeze don't remind me of that clown *shudders*
So creepy...I'm glad our store never had any events for the kids with that stupid clown...the most we ever did was face painting lol
 lol. Picking on? I thought you hated old people.

Posted 5/17/2014
Help me quick!
I am writing a cover letter to apply for a writing job. If my blog is currently on hiatus, do I say "I used to manage/run my own blog/a blog..." Or do I say "I currently manage/run my own/a blog..."? And which is better: manage or run? My own or a?

Posted 5/18/2014
Help me quick!
I am writing a cover letter to apply for a writing job. If my blog is currently on hiatus, do I say "I used to manage/run my own blog/a blog..." Or do I say "I currently manage/run my own/a blog..."? And which is better: manage or run? My own or a?
 I would use "experienced blogger at blahblah.com" and just avoid currently or used to. You can own a blog if you control it on a site. Also keep it low key. Your other writing should come before listing your blog since blogs are fairly common so it could be over looked. All depends on the job you're applying for. ^-^

Posted 5/19/2014
Okie thanks!

Posted 8/07/2014
More like a programmer, developing a web map application. 

Posted 8/11/2014

I'm a software engineering intern =)
Finishing school so part time student too 

Posted 8/13/2014
I been working since the beginning of the month in Retail for stocking but hoping to get a job right now doing night stocking/cashier for the money. My original plan was to obtain enough money this summer to move to Washington State but I had to set it back until October 2015 or February 2016 to move.

In the meantime I am training myself to be better with PHP and Javascript to mess around with code until I go to Washington State to study for Game Design/Animation.
Permanently remove poll and all votes forever.
Open
Notice
Closed
Deleted
Edit Post
Cancel Edit
Achievement!
Document the discovery of a new anime.
#38646;